Degree and Title: Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship
Address: School of Nursing
University at Buffalo
201 Wende Hall
3434 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214-8013
1986 BAppSci - Curtin University of Technology, Perth,
1992 MSc - Curtin University of Technology, Perth,
1998 PhD - School of Nursing, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
Areas of Research:
Dr. Porock's research focuses on the care of elders with life limiting conditions. Current research in Buffalo focuses on measuring person-centered care outcomes in long term care setting (funded by WNY Alliance for Person Centered Care); recognizing dying in prolonged mechanically ventilated patients (unfunded). Current research in the United Kingdom focuses on introducing person-centered care in the acute general hospital for elders with dementia (National Institutes of Health Research, UK): hospital care of the patient with dementia at the end of life (Alzheimer's Society, UK).
NUR 501 Conceptual Foundations in Nursing
NUR 526 Evaluating the Evidence Base for Health Care I
Doctoral advising and dissertation research
Graduate and undergraduate independent studies
Graduate research practicums
Honors student research and projects
Dr. Porock has opportunities for students to get involved in her research - please contact her for information: 829-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Publications: (Refereed, *Data based)
· *Clissett, P., Porock, D., Harwood, R.H., & Gladman, J.R.F. (under review). Supporting people with dementia in acute hospital settings: Perceptions of family carers and people with dementia. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
· Suwanpasu, S., Aungsuroch, Y., Grinslade, S., Jitapanya, C., & Porock, D. (under review). Delirium in elders treated for hip fracture: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
· *Clissett, P., Porock, D., Harwood, R.H., & Gladman, J.R.F. (under review). The challenges of achieving person-centred care for people with dementia in acute hospital settings. International Journal of Nursing Studies.
· *Clissett, P., Porock, D., Harwood, R.H., & Gladman, J.R.F. (under review). Experiences of family carers of older people with mental health problems in the acute general hospital: A qualitative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
· Gallagher, K., Marlow, N., Edgley, A., & Porock, D. (2011). The attitudes of neonatal nurses towards extremely preterm infants. Journal of Advanced Nursing. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05865.x
· Bailey, C.J., Murphy, R., & Porock, D. (2011). Dying cases in emergency places: Caring for the dying in emergency departments. Social Science & Medicine, 73(9), 1371-1377. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.07.036
· Cheung, K.L., Ellis, I.O., Morgan, D.A.L., Leonard, R., Reed, M.W., Porock, D., & Barnard, K. (2011). Optimising the management of primary breast cancer in older women - A report of a multi-disciplinary study day. The Breast, 20(6), 581-584. doi: 10.1016/j.breast.2011.07.003
· Bailey, C., Murphy, R., & Porock, D. (2011). Professional tears: developing emotional intelligence around death and dying in emergency work. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20(23-24), 3364-3372. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03860.x
· Russell, C., Edwards, G., Porock, D., Goldberg, S.E., & Harwood, R.H. (2011). Implementation of ‘About Me’:- promoting person-centred care on an acute medical ward for older people with confusion [abstract]. Age Ageing, 40(Suppl 1):i11. doi: 10.1093/ageing/afr002
· Glangkarn, S., Promasatayaprot, V., Porock, D. (2011). Measuring Quality of Life in Thai Women with Breast Cancer. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 12, 637-644.
· Harwood, R.H., Goldberg, S.E., Whittamore, K., Russell, C., Gladman, J.R.F., Jones, R.G., Porock, D., Lewis, S., Bradshaw, L., Elliot, R. & The Medical Crises in Older People Study Group Study Protocol (2011). Evaluation of a Medical and Mental Health Unit compared with standard care for older people whose emergency admission to an acute general hospital is complicated by concurrent 'confusion' : a controlled clinical trial BioMed Central (BMC)Trials 12:123. doi:10.1186/1745-6215-12-123
· Walker, W. Timmons, S., & Porock, D. (2011). The importance of identity in fall prevention. Nursing Older People, 23(2), 21-26.
Other Professional Experience, Awards and Honors:
1996-2010 Founding Chair and current collaborative Member Cancer and Palliative Care Collaborative
Research Team, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
1998-2008 Editorial Board Member, European Journal of Oncology Nursing, Elsevier
1998-present Editorial Board Member, European Journal of Cancer Care, Blackwell Science
2002 International Faculty Award, University of Missouri-Columbia Research Council
2003 Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Iota Chapter Award for Excellence in Teaching
2004-2011 Editorial Board Member, Western Journal of Nursing Research, Sage Publications
2004-2013 Adjunct Professor, Sinclair School of Nursing, University of Missouri-Columbia, Missouri
2005-2007 Executive Board Member, European Oncology Nursing Society
2006-2008 Executive Board, Member, UK Oncology Nursing Society (UKONS)
2008-present Executive Board Member, International Philosophy of Nursing Society (IPONS)
2010-2013 Honoroary Professor, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy, The University of
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2010-present Member of the Steering Committee for the Western New York Alliance for Person Centered Care
and lead for the Research Sub-Committee
2010-present Editorial Board Member, Research on Aging, Sage Publications
2011 Distinguished Faculty Mentor Award, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, Buffalo, NY
2011-2014 External Examiner for Appointments and Tenure Committee, and External Examiner
of Master of Nursing Program, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Current Professional Memberships:
Eastern Nursing Research Society (ENRS)
International Philosophy of Nursing Society (IPONS)
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), Gamma Kappa Chapter – President Elect May 2011
Gerontology Society of America (GSA)