Loralee Sessanna, DNS, RN, CNS, AHN-BC
Assistant Dean, MS/DNP Programs; Clinical Associate Professor
School of Nursing
University at Buffalo
212 Wende Hall
Buffalo, NY 14214-3079
- DNS, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, 2006
- Master of Nursing Science, D'Youville College, 2000
- Bachelor of Nursing Science, D'Youville College, 1998
- AAS Nursing, Trocaire College, 1987
Areas of Research
- Community health nursing
- Holistic nursing and patient care
- End-of-life care
- NSG 311 Family Nursing
- NSG 370 Nursing as a Profession
- NSG 378 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention within Populations
- NSG 410 Public Health Nursing
- NSG 481 Concepts of Acute Care Practicum
- NGC 638 Program Evaluation
- NGC 520 Scientific Writing
- NGC 692 Seminar in Grantsmanship
- NGC 701 State of Nursing Science
Chang, Y.-P., Sessanna, L., & Schneider, K. J. (2017). The applicability of the decisional conflict scale in nursing home placement decision among Chinese family caregivers: A mixed methods approach. Asian/Pacific Island Nursing Journal, 2(3), 110-120. doi:10.9741/23736658.1064
Iverson, A., & Sessanna, L. (2012). Utilizing Watson's Theory of Human Caring and Watson's Emacipatory Pedagogy to educate hospital-based multidisciplinary healthcare providers about hospice. International Journal of Human Caring, 16(4), 43-48.
Abbotoy, J., & Sessanna, L. (2012). Hands-on BCMA education for direct care nurses. Nursing Management, 43(11), 15-18.
Sessanna, L., Finnell, D. B., Underhill, M., Chang, Y., & Peng, H. (2011). Measures assessing spirituality as more than religiosity: A methodological review of nursing and health related literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67(8), 1677-1694.
Chang, Y. P., Wray, O. L., Sessanna, L., & Peng, H. L. (2011). Use of prescription opioid medication among community-dwelling older adults with noncancer chronic pain. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 22, 1-6.
Finnell, D. S., Jezewski, M. A., Meeker, M. A., Wu, Y. W., Sessanna, L., & Lee, J. (2011). Applying the Transtheoretical Model to health care proxy completion. Medical Decision Making, 31(2), 254-259.
Chang, Y. P., Schneider, J. K., & Sessanna, L. (2011). Decisional conflict among Chinese family caregivers regarding nursing home placement of loder adults with dementia. Journal of Aging Studies, 25(4), 436-444.
Carey, M. Al-Zaiti, S., Dean, G., Sessanna, L., & Finnell, D. (2011). Sleep problems, depression, substance use, social bonding, and quality of life in professional firefighters. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53(8), 928-933.
Sessanna, L. (2010). End of life care needs and preferences among independent community dwelling older adults: A secondary analysis. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 12(6), 360-369.*
Jezewski, M.A., Finnell, D.S., Meeker, M.A., Wu, Y.W., Sessanna, L., & Lee, J. (2009). Psychometric testing of four Transtheoretical Model questionnaires for the behavior, completing health care proxies. Research in Nursing & Health, 32(6), 606-620.*
Sessanna, L., & Jezewski, M.A. (2008). Advance directive decision making among community dwelling well older adults: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 27(4), 486-510.*
Honors and Awards
- Mecca S. Cranley Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, 2017
- Keynote Speaker for School of Nursing Convocation, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, Fall 2010
- Keynote Speaker for Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society Beta Class Induction Ceremony, University at Buffalo, 2009
- Dean's Mentor Award, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, Spring 2010
- Patricia H. Garman Behavioral Health Nursing Endowment Award, University at Buffalo ,School of Nursing, Spring 2010
- Doctor of Nursing Science Petsan Scholarship Award, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, 2002-2006
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, 2000-present