Loralee Sessanna, DNS, RN, CNS, AHN-BC
Interim Assistant Dean, MS/DNP Programs; Clinical Associate Professor
School of Nursing
University at Buffalo
212 Wende Hall
Buffalo, NY 14214-3079
- DNS, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, 2006
- Master of Nursing Science, D'Youville College, 2000
- Bachelor of Nursing Science, D'Youville College, 1998
- AAS Nursing, Trocaire College, 1987
Areas of Research
Community health nursing | Spirituality | Holistic nursing and patient care | End-of-life care
NSG 311 Family Nursing
NSG 370 Nursing as a Profession
NSG 378 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention within Populations
NSG 410 Public Health Nursing
NSG 481 Concepts of Acute Care Practicum
NGC 638 Program Evaluation
NGC 520 Scientific Writing
NGC 692 Seminar in Grantsmanship
NGC 701 State of Nursing Science
Iverson, A., & Sessanna, L. (2012). Utilizing Watson's Theory of Human Caring and Watson's Emacipatory Pedagogy to educate hospital-based multidisciplinary healthcare providers about hospice. International Journal of Human Caring, 16(4), 43-48.
Abbotoy, J., & Sessanna, L. (2012). Hands-on BCMA education for direct care nurses. Nursing Management, 43(11), 15-18.
Sessanna, L., Finnell, D. B., Underhill, M., Chang, Y., & Peng, H. (2011). Measures assessing spirituality as more than religiosity: A methodological review of nursing and health related literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67(8), 1677-1694.
Chang, Y. P., Wray, O. L., Sessanna, L., & Peng, H. L. (2011). Use of prescription opioid medication among community-dwelling older adults with noncancer chronic pain. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 22, 1-6.
Finnell, D. S., Jezewski, M. A., Meeker, M. A., Wu, Y. W., Sessanna, L., & Lee, J. (2011). Applying the Transtheoretical Model to health care proxy completion. Medical Decision Making, 31(2), 254-259.
Chang, Y. P., Schneider, J. K., & Sessanna, L. (2011). Decisional conflict among Chinese family caregivers regarding nursing home placemnent of loder adults with dementia. Journal of Aging Studies, 25(4), 436-444.
Carey, M. Al-Zaiti, S., Dean, G., Sessanna, L., & Finnell, D. (2011). Sleep problems, depression, substance use, social bonding, and quality of life in professional firefighters. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53(8), 928-933.
Sessanna, L. (2010). End of life care needs and preferences among independent community dwelling older adults: A secondary analysis. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 12(6), 360-369.*
Jezewski, M.A., Finnell, D.S., Meeker, M.A., Wu, Y.W., Sessanna, L., & Lee, J. (2009). Psychometric testing of four Transtheoretical Model questionnaires for the behavior, completing health care proxies. Research in Nursing & Health, 32(6), 606-620.*
Sessanna, L., & Jezewski, M.A. (2008). Advance directive decision making among community dwelling well older adults: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 27(4), 486-510.*
Honors and Awards
- Mecca S. Cranley Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, 2017
- Keynote Speaker for School of Nursing Convocation, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, Fall 2010
- Keynote Speaker for Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society Beta Class Induction Ceremony, University at Buffalo, 2009
- Dean's Mentor Award, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, Spring 2010
- Patricia H. Garman Behavioral Health Nursing Endowment Award, University at Buffalo ,School of Nursing, Spring 2010
- Doctor of Nursing Science Petsan Scholarship Award, University at Buffalo, School of Nursing, 2002-2006
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, 2000-present